Accountant Job Description
Reports to General Manager
Position Overview: Lead all finance related activities within the Port.
- Ensure completion of full-cycle accounting, including AR/AP, payroll, accruals, monthly and yearly closing, GL reconciliation, fixed asset register agreement with GL, adjusting entries, and other tasks.
- Oversee the accounting team, including supervision and coordination or work.
- Ensure proper accounting of complex notes payable and capital items.
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e., GAAP, FASB), rules, regulations, and system of internal controls.
- Ensure timely filing of all financial reports, local, state, and federal filings, and other.
- Prepare financial statements and budget performance reports.
- Prepare, assemble, and present the budget throughout the public budgeting process.
- Provide financial analysis to determine Port’s financial position, forecast, and existing or potential programs.
- Interpret financial statements and provide other reports to the Commission.
- Participate in strategic planning.
- Aid in development of and lead the implementation of Port’s mission, strategic goals, new accounting policies, standards, and guidelines.
- Identify areas for improvement and implement improvement to processes.
- Assist with and act as the primary point-of-contact with external auditors.
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Manage vendor, grant, and customer contracts. Ensure accurate payment or billing consistent with the contracts.
- Manage commercial insurance and employee benefits.
- Maintain personnel files in compliance with all applicable legal requirements. Assists in the hiring process by coordinating job postings, reviewing resumes, and performing interviews.
- Other duties and tasks as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, or equivalent education.
- 3 years of accounting/finance experience.
- Knowledge of fund accounting.
- Demonstrate intermediate to advanced skills and knowledge of Excel.
- Demonstrate intermediate to advanced skills and knowledge of desktop version of Quickbooks.
- Thorough knowledge of general ledger accounting and account reconciliation.
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Experience in private and government sectors.
To apply, please fill out the questionnaire below: